Monday, June 6, 2011

Breastfeeding

WHAT!?! Yes, breastfeeding.

Are you blushing yet? Well, I do, so don't be afraid to admit the truth.

My discomfort with breastfeeding dates back to when I was 19 years old and serving at the Olive Garden. I was helping a Latino family order their lunch when a very beautiful, young mom whipped out her breast right in front of me and started breastfeeding. I tried to speak, but just stuttered..."uh, uh, uh...I will be right back." I couldn't go back to their table for a long time. I was so embarrassed. My next run-in with "breasts" was when I was walking down the hallway at Alegent Health Midlands Hospital. I passed a room of about 20 moms all breastfeeding openly at the same time. 20 breasts + 20 babies = a nervous laugh and red face.

It was all too much for me. I got sweaty and even felt a bit nauseous.  I was walking with a breastfeeding mom who assured me that it was a beautiful thing, but for a young gal not ready for babies, it all seemed quite foreign and super X-rated. (It turns out that this was a support group for moms to combat the common feeling that baby isn't getting any milk. They weigh the baby before and after and show the moms that all the babies received about the same oz. of milk...enough milk for their needed nutrition.)

After these odd experiences and little education you can see how my discomfort began to build into a phobia. Not to mention that all of these experiences are built on the fact that for many young women, like me, breasts are not seen as feeding tools. They are portrayed in the media as sexual objects, and they are a body part of contention for those of us who reached puberty at age 25. Yes, it's sad but true.

When I found that breastfeeding is a key strategy for my team and their fight against childhood obesity, I said to myself, 'deep breath, here we go'. I knew that in theory I supported the health benefits that result from breastfeeding, but I needed to see the hard, cold facts in order to begin to change my perception and raise my comfort level.

First, I called my Mom and yep, I was breastfed. I watched this YouTube video featuring many hollywood women who support breastfeeding.  It's cute, check it out. I read the Surgeon Generals' call to action to support breastfeeding. I learned that breast milk is the best way to inoculate your newborn against all types of diseases and reduces allergies and infections. Breastfeeding also reduces a child's risk of obesity by 40% and helps stimulate a baby's brain growth. Moms burn 500 calories a day and reduce their risk of breast cancer and other cancers...With each fact, the awkward giggles subsided and I felt a greater peace with breastfeeding. Finally, I read that if US moms breastfed their babies for up to 6 months, our nation would save an estimated $13 billion in health care costs. I was shocked. (Click here for CDC source on these facts)

I had no idea that working my dream job in public health would lead to such a personal issue. My team assures me that it's good that I share these things so that they can better understand how to reach "my generation". I think that's funny. :) It turns out that breastfeeding is a really good thing for mom, baby and our health care system. So if you know a mom who is giving this a try, encourage her, support her and for goodness sakes do not run away at an Olive Garden and have a panic attack in the kitchen. I am a reformed breastfeeding supporter and am proud that Alegent Health and Live Well Omaha Kids is doing so much to support it (more on this later).

Although, I am far away from considering having children, I like to think that I will try breastfeeding and know how to reach support around me when times are tough.

If you are curious about resources, check out the list below:
If you have had a horrifying experience or am a supporter, post your thoughts here. Talking about it, helps reduce the stigma and show support for moms no matter their breastfeeding choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment