Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Getting Started

I walked in with matching stationary and notepads, picture of June and Shan and my favorite pens; I was ready to jump into my new job with precision and enthusiasm. I sat at my new desk and gleefully put out all my supplies, aligned my stapler parallel to my tape and picked up a new light bulb for my desk lamp. Two hours later, I was told that I had sat at the wrong desk. I was very embarrassed. So, the rest of the day was spent moving, hooking up a computer and phone and getting everything settled back into my proper spot.


I knew that Tuesday would be a much better day, and it was. I attended my first staff meeting where I learned more about what we do. In a nutshell, the team creates coalitions and leads programming  to improve documented health needs. The biggest documented health need in Nebraska and Iowa right now is childhood obesity. So, Alegent Health and other community partners have created Live Well Omaha and Live Well Omaha Kids among other initiatitives to tackle this issue. Although Alegent Health is a key funder and collaborator, it's not all about us. We work with the YMCA, HY-Vee, the Health Departments and others to make the magic happen.


The collaborative has received a big federal stimulus grant for $5.7 million called "Communities Putting Prevention to Work." The grant helps 19 different partners focus on key health issues in our own communities.

The thing that kills me is that I have worked for Alegent for six years AND even in Internal Communications. I am a big fan of this type of work and I had no idea that we were helping to make all of this happen. It's for this reason that I am starting this blog. People have to know what our community is doing and how they can help.

Quick Tip from famous runner Jeff Galloway:
When you don't want to work out, put on your workout clothes and tell yourself that you will just walk across the street. Once you are there, ask yourself if it is really worth giving up and going back home or could you keep going. I have personally tried this and it works!

Until next time,

Sarah the hopeful

2 comments:

  1. Great job, love! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah the hopeful,
    I am inspired by you and your enthusiasm for what you are about to accomplish. Isn't it amazing that there are so many unsung heroes at Alegent (I always knew they were there although I couldn't name them all). Now not only will you be joining and supporting them, you will be shouting out their message. Call me crazy, but I believe this is what you were meant to do and why you were put in a position to learn so much about communications. I remember so well the day that I talked a professor at Creighton about needing a student to come join the web team. She said "do I have an intern for you!" How right she was.

    ReplyDelete